Unlock bright skin: Why daily face washing is essential for healthy skinSkin protection
Posted on 28/02/23
Taking time to wash your face may not seem like an important step in a skin protection routine, especially at the end of a long, tiring day when all you want to do is hit the hay.
But in today’s LifeJournal, we explain why it’s essential and how you can do something to unlock maximal results in just under 45 seconds.
Also…take this a genuine promise: stick with it as we recommend and you’ll see visible improvements.
What’s wrong with au naturel?
Imagine this situation.
You wake up and head out. You take a car, public transport or walk along a road. You do a 12+ hour day and deal with everyday stresses. Maybe you train (and sweat). Then you go home. During this time, you’ve amassed over 12 hours of dirt, airborne bacteria, pollution, excess oil, dead skin and who knows what else on your face.
Using more than a splash of water to remove that daily layer of unseen grime is important and here’s why.
Why clean your face daily?
- Dirt takes its toll dirt and pollution accumulate on the surface of your skin and can potentially contribute to breakouts, dehydration and ageing. They give the skin a dull look, which, combined with the effects of fatigue and stress, can result in your skin not looking its best.
- Remove dead skin – your skin constantly re-generates. It goes through a natural shedding process every 28-30 days to get rid of dead skin cells. If they’re not removed, they can cause acne, blackheads, and bumpy skin. As we get older, the removal process takes longer which can lead to dry, dehydrated skin. Cleansing helps rejuvenate and speed up cell turnover to reveal fresh, healthy skin at the surface. Skip cleansing and built-up dead skin cells go unchecked leaving you looking dry, sallow, and unhealthy.
- Clear up your skin – The skin produces an oily substance called sebum that hydrates and protects your skin. Excess sebum can mix with your daily layer of grime, especially dead skin cells, causing enlarged pores and blockages of skin follicles. This trapped sebum may mean bacteria can penetrate the skin, leading to inflammation, acne, spots and a blotchy, lacklustre complexion. Proper daily washing clears these pores before things become problematic. In return, it will keep your skin looking bright and healthy.
- Boost hydration – Regular facial cleansing is an important factor in helping the skin maintain a proper level of moisture. Dehydrated skin looks and feels rough, wrinkled and aged. Cleansing helps manage pH levels of the skin, enabling sufficient water and product retention for proper skin hydration.
- Stay young-looking – Every day, your skin ages. UV, pollution and environmental toxins accelerate this and a simple cleansing routine is an excellent way to get rid of unwanted particles, stimulating the internal processes mentioned before.
- Reinforce the skin barrier – Harsh soaps and over-cleansing can damage your skin barrier but not cleansing can do the same. By skipping this step, you weaken your skin barrier leaving it susceptible to environmental stress, which can cause skin damage. Regular cleansing with gentle and hydrating products will strengthen your skin’s outer layer protecting it from bad bacteria, pollution, microbes, and other impurities getting inside your body. This is the very foundation for why we believe in daily skin protection.
Maybe persuaded but don’t want to spend ages doing it?
For all the reasons why you should cleanse your face daily, we believe one wash at the end of the day is all it takes. Remove the day’s grime ahead of the overnight skin recovery process and you’ll be golden!
Assuming you’re standing at the bathroom mirror brushing your teeth before bed, just take an extra 30 seconds to lather a face cleanser into clean hands using lukewarm water and apply it to your face. Towel dry and that’s it.
It’s that simple and you’ll see benefits in terms of clearer, brighter and healthier-looking skin, smaller pores and fewer breakouts.
Here are a few watchouts:
- Don’t over wash as this can strip the skin of natural oils that keep it hydrated and help maintain the skin’s protective barrier.
- Find a gentle cleanser that doesn’t contain alcohol – Everybody’s skin is different so find something you like and that works for you.
- Don’t use anything abrasive that physically scrubs the skin. Resist the temptation to scrub or rub which irritates the skin.
- BONUS MOVE: apply moisturiser straight after to keep the skin’s hydration levels in check. Our skin loses more water overnight than you think as skin temperature rises as you sleep. Apply a moisturiser to hydrate your skin. The cleanse you do beforehand will allow the moisturiser to really penetrate your skin and work its magic.
At this stage, we have to tell you about our amazing Face Cleansing Bar. It has been dermatologically tested for sensitive skin, contains 1% salicylic acid which has deep exfoliating properties and can remove grime without scrubbing. We used salicylic acid at a dose that works for daily use. It penetrates your skin before going to work by dissolving any dead skin cells clogging your pores. This also helps it smooth out bumpy skin. We also added in Olus Oil for extra skin moisturisation and Seabuckthorn Oil for its anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties. After a year developing it in our lab, we obviously can’t recommend it enough!
Give it a go
While the magnetic pull of your pillow may be overwhelming, skipping something that can take no more than 45 seconds really can have physical and cosmetic consequences for your skin health.
Why not try it for a month and see how you get on?
We reckon you’ll quickly realise it isn’t actually that much hassle and you’ll like the changes you see.
You might like to try...
Our amazing daily face cleanser.